“In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods. They have not forgotten this”
Calling all cat-worshippers! I have to ask: are you 100% satisfied in your own mind that the Pets-At-Home igloo bed you selected for your feline is up to scratch? Or did you go straight for the cat’s whiskers and lavish £50 on the deluxe Mr Snugs KatDen, only to find kitty curled up in the closet on your sweaters?
For a crashpad truly befitting your furry god or goddess, maybe, just maybe, you should have called upon the services of an ar-cat-ect. Yes, really. I’m serious. There is a wonderful organisation called Architects for Animals
which every October invites architects and designers to make, submit for display, and donate their creative catnap-eries at their annual “Giving Shelter” exhibition and auction. All proceeds go to animals in need. This year, Architects for Animals’ 10th, the recipient is FixNation, an L.A. charity that spays/neuters stray, abandoned, and feral cats. Isn’t that purrfect?
Take your pick from these fabulous puss palaces.
There’s no doubting who’s the star of that show!
Now, a quick flip of the coin, from the money-givers to the money-makers – from the compassionate donors to the fat cats of re-tail.
(Apologies for all the corny cat puns. But you’d better brace yourself for more to come – I can’t resist😄)
A certain business better known for its vegan meatballs and Scandi style has also been getting creative for cats. Available for purr-chase is the ‘Lurvig cat cube’, designed to mix and match with the human furnishings. Infinitely adaptable to cat-er for every possible puss preference.
Even so, I can imagine Felis Catus looking on with cool disdain as we wrestle with the flatpack – a disdain that despite our best efforts, may well extend to the finally completed cat-ready creation.
Oh well, it can always double up as a bedside cabinet.
So that takes care of the cat crashpads. Now how about the fur-niture?
“Cats are connoisseurs of comfort”
Recent pet industry consumer research shows –
- 80% of millennial companion-animal ‘parents’ regard their pets as family members. (What is wrong with the other 20%, one has to ask)
- Americans spend more on cat food in a year than on baby food
- And, music to the industry’s ears, 76% of millennial pet parents are willing to splurge on cool stuff for their pet before buying something for themselves.
Discovering just how much millennials are in thrall to their felines, the pet industry is naturally keen to create new product opportunities for the splurging. Would you splash out on these miniature marvels from Japan for your fur baby?
This is fur-niture for felines of the highest craftsmanship. Nothing but the best.
So, now that’s all the kitty comforts sewn up, what does Santa Claws plan on bringing this Christmas?
“Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want”
- I’m sorry, but I have it on the best authority, the standard supermarket pet stocking is not going to cut it this year. Don’t you know, a cat needs some a-mews-ment? A chance to show off her cat-leticism? So how about one of these?
Catastrophic Creations make these ‘Indiana Jones Bridges’ to order. If you are cat-crazy enough to measure up your home for one, expect to get ambushed from on high, that’s all I can say.
Or, maybe you’re this crazy…
Or, for the irredeemably bonkers, this…
Now that’s one website worth looking at!
From the pampered puss who has everything, back where we started – to the cat who has nothing. We too can help give a cat a home.
If you’d like to help feral cats near you, click here for simple instructions, using materials that would probably otherwise be thrown away, to make a cosy shelter. It may not be as zany or stylish as the ones above, but it will keep them snug from the winter cold and wet.
And/or sponsor a cat pod with the RSPCA. The charity took in 6,390 cats to its shelters last year. “With the current cat overpopulation crisis facing the UK and our centres housing hundreds of cats – more than the number of dogs and rabbits combined – [the cats] need our support more than ever.”
And if you are considering bringing a new companion animal into the family, don’t forget #AdoptDontShop!
For more stylish designs from Architects for Animals, take a look here
Quotes: Terry Pratchett, Joseph Wood Krutch, James Herriot – in that order